12 Guests, 2 Users

Author Topic: Mowery Rifle  (Read 1883 times)

Mr Kidney Bean

Mowery Rifle
« on: Fri,AM,05,14 »
                           Here's a 50 cal Mowery rifle , you dont see em much anymore so just thought I'd post it . Good shooting gun and this one is in like new condition . It was the Bicentenial model made in 1976 .

Offline east texas

• GUNSLINGER-AT-LARGE
  • Administrator
    YearsYears
Re: Mowery Rifle
« Reply #1 on: Fri,AM,05,47 »
you would have to show me that again charlie!! now im jonesin agin thanx!!   its a nice rifle!!
the second amendment IS my permit to carry

Offline towboater

• Global Moderator
    YearsYears
« Reply #2 on: Fri,AM,07,23 »
Great looking rifle.

Offline CHAINFIRE

Years
« Reply #3 on: Fri,AM,09,46 »
thats awesome ...and another is on the list...its getting long

Offline Indy

• gunpimp to the stars
  • Administrator
  • "iva uvam vidia vareea fat"
    YearsYears
« Reply #4 on: Fri,AM,10,12 »
I love it!!!
"you spend three days in a horse carcass livin off your own juices....It'll change a man...Oh yeah...."

Offline Fly

• Builders Group
  • hard to understand, what a hell of a man, superfly
    YearsYears
« Reply #5 on: Fri,AM,10,52 »
Those are really cool looking rifles.I forgot about them till now.Thanks for sharing the pic,s.

Fly £cowboy°

Offline Tom-ADC

Years
« Reply #6 on: Fri,PM,14,23 »
Charlie that is just a great looking piece.
Time magazine person of the year 2006

Offline Berkley

YearsYears
« Reply #7 on: Fri,PM,16,49 »
Charlie, thanks for postin' that one. Don't see those very often, and that one's especially sweet. :t
Illegitimi non carborundum

Mr Kidney Bean

« Reply #8 on: Fri,PM,18,20 »
                                          I'm not trying to brag on this gun , just discussing . These were originaly made in Iowa Park TX , bout 10 miles west of where I live . The owner / founder of the company [Mr. Mowery] already had a machine shop and had a heck of an oilfield business going . He was into blackpowder and got into the gun biz . They made the barrels and all componets except the stocks .
                                          He developed health problems and sold out to a group in Olney TX bout 40 miles south of me . These people used poor business practices and soon lost their orders altogether . They sold to Deer creek in IL who tryed to produce the guns but the blackpowder boom was winding down and they couldnt compete with CVA ,Traditions and others that sold a cheaper gun . Deer creek still makes parts and will help you with problems , they still own the Mowery name .
« Last Edit: Fri,PM,18,22 by Mr Kidney Bean »

Offline east texas

• GUNSLINGER-AT-LARGE
  • Administrator
    YearsYears
« Reply #9 on: Fri,PM,19,00 »
wonder if they would still make one
the second amendment IS my permit to carry

Mr Kidney Bean

« Reply #10 on: Fri,PM,19,31 »
                        Dont think so , too much trouble for one rifle , they just make a run of parts , dont have the hands they usta .

Mr Kidney Bean

« Reply #11 on: Fri,PM,19,41 »
                              Post note . Mr Mowey was in total dispair about the gun situation . His name was on them and he had taken pride in the product he made , he passed away.  His personal Mowery rifle sold about a year and a half ago and only brought $ 800.00 , I thought it would bring more .
« Last Edit: Fri,PM,19,43 by Mr Kidney Bean »

Offline B.L.E.

Years
« Reply #12 on: Fri,PM,20,11 »
The Mowerys used to show up at the TMLRA shoots in Brady, they always had a poker game going on in front of their camper as I remember.  He also crafted a a few beautiful underhammer guns.

Mr Kidney Bean

« Reply #13 on: Fri,PM,20,39 »
                          I did quite a bit of business with the machine shop , I had a rig mechanic service . The gun building shop was in another location . Talked to Mr Mowery many times , always friendly and seemed good to his hands .  He had a whole wall full of BP guns in the office , some antiques , beautiful guns ! I know they made several guns that never got marketed . The gun end of the business was his passion , he really enjoyed it .
                         I was working on drilling rigs seven days a week , he always offered to tour me through the gun works but I was always too busy , put it off . Talked to his foreman Mike last summer , we talked guns a long time . He still has three mowerys that he put together himself , got to take his time and pick the best stocks and breech castings , did extra work on em . Asked him if he would sell any of them and he just looked at me .

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• Builders Group
    YearsYears
« Reply #14 on: Thu,AM,01,05 »
Have to get a plastic cover for the keyboard before I short it out from drooling!
Reprobate, Gun Hoarder, Troublemaker, Dr. Frankengunner and  Music Hall Entertainer